11 Years of world-class bike racing in the books
The Tour of America’s Dairyland presented by KwikTrip launched in 2009 when several Milwaukee-area cycling enthusiasts, among them Billy Ochowicz and Tom Schuler, came together to start what was then a five-day road cycling race. They were united by the belief that everyone should have access to a world-class bicycle racing experience.
Since then, the series has grown to 11 straight days in 11 different communities throughout Southeast Wisconsin, making it the largest competitive road cycling series in the nation. Each year we welcome nearly 1,100 male and female pro and amateur athletes from more than 40 U.S. states and 15 countries, with an average of 450 racing daily.
ToAD has become one of the most popular race series internationally earning an outstanding reputation for participant, spectator and sponsor experiences. In the 2017 post-race survey, 98.5 percent of riders said they would recommend ToAD to a friend or a teammate and 97 percent said they plan to race ToAD again.
We are honored each year to have elite Pro cyclists roll up to our starting line, including Matt Busche (USAC Pro Road Winner), Brent Emery (former U.S. Olympian), Katie Compton (14-time U.S. Cyclocross National Champion), Dan Holloway (U.S. Olympic track team), and Coryn Rivera (holder of 71 U.S. National titles in road, track, cyclocross and MTB; only American to win the Tour of Flanders).
Recognizing 12 Years of Partnership
ToAD could not have had the success it has seen since it’s inception in 2009 without the amazing sponsors, people & host cites that have been with us from the very beginning. We continue to recognize them below and can only say THANK YOU!
- Marcie Weiss – She got her start managing results as 16-year old and now oversees the complexities of registration and shares with us her USAC officiating wisdom. We’d be lost without Marcie.
- Todd Busteed – The guy who puts so much energy in due diligence pre-race and an enthusiastic approach to each and every sponsor, Todd views himself as one of us & is always willing to stand by our side as we prepare for the series each year.
- Brad Sohner – That voice. That energy! That love for chocolate milk! That Brad Sohner; he’s the bomb of race voices.
- Jay Baumeister – Willing to go the extra mile and always there! Tenspeeds has been our sole provider of staging and the barricades we love, although we since purchased them from Jay. We’ve worked closely with Jay on various fronts over the years and you’ll not find a better friend to also call a supplier.
- Thanks to our 11/12 year Veteran Sponsors: Waterford Precision Cycles. Wheel & Sprocket, Trek and the Bike Fed.
- Waterford Precision Cycles – What would the world of cycling be like without a Schwinn in it? We’d prefer not to find out; Richard’s commitment to ToAD has been unmatched over the years and there’s no better gauge of that than the countless Gunnar & Waterford frames he has awarded omnium winners of all our amateur categories since 2009!
- Trek Bicycles– A world-wide leader in bikes and a company very Wisconsin proud! Much like the name Schwinn, where would our cycling community be without Trek?
- Wheel & Sprocket– As Trek’s largest dealer nationwide, the Kegel family has and continues to lead the independent bike dealers when it comes to community commitment, advocacy efforts and just being a family that is ALL IN when it comes to cycling! AND, we’re blessed that Wisconsin is home for them!
- Wisconsin Bike Fed-A leader in the world of cycling advocacy organizations. Wisconsin has been blessed to have our own Bike Fed to have our collective backs, fighting for access and safe pathways forward to all! Not a member? Shame on you; join today!
- Grafton- The Giro d’ Grafton was our founding race, begun in 2007 by founding partner Billy Ochowicz and a few racing buddies, Michael Martens and Jeff Littman! Still running strong today thanks to the continued commitment of the Village of Grafton & it’s team of leaders.
- Waukesha- The Carl Zach Classic has been in existence for over 25 years, playing a key role in the Superweek, the longstanding series that gave Wisconsin a spotlight in the world of competitive cycling! It goes without saying that without Superweek, there would be no ToAD.
- Downer Avenue- The Otto Wenz Cafe Hollander Downer Classic is one of the those granddaddy’s of bike races around the USA and lives large in the hearts of the most fans and racers alike. The atmosphere is electric and continually draws ToAD’s largest fields year after year, amateur and pro women and men, the renown Ben’s Cycle and Fitness Superprime provides a huge additional incentive to make their way to Milwaukee each summer with it’s with it’s rich payday!